Around 300,000 People Displaced After Deadly Blast In Beirut: Governor

Source: ANI/Sputnik | Published on 6th August 2020, 8:12 PM | Global News | Don't Miss |

Beirut [Lebanon]: Around 300,000 people became homeless as a result of the recent powerful explosion in the port of Beirut in Lebanon, the city's Governor Marwan Abboud, said on Wednesday.

The explosion rocked the city late on Tuesday. According to the Lebanese authorities, it was caused by improper storage of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate.

"About 300,000 people have been displaced in the Lebanese capital after the port explosion. The cost of the destruction exceeds $3 billion," Abboud said, as quoted by the Al Mayadeen broadcaster.

Earlier in the day, the official estimated the amount of damage from the explosion at around $3-5 billion. 

Read These Next

Yoshihide Suga elected as Japan's new Prime Minister

Japan's parliament on Wednesday elected Yoshihide Suga prime minister, with the former chief cabinet secretary expected to stick closely to policies championed by Shinzo Abe during his record-breaking tenure.

India, Japan ink mutual military logistics agreement

After years of negotiations, India and Japan have inked a landmark agreement that will allow their militaries to access each other's bases for logistics support, a key development that comes in the backdrop of growing ...

Farmers oppose ordinances, take out massive rally

Hundreds of farmers descended on Bengaluru on Monday morning and protested against the state government’s proposed amendment to the Land Reforms Act, Agricultural Produce Marketing Committee (APMC) Act, and ...