Man electrocuted, locals stage protest in Mangaluru

Source: DHNS | Published on 18th August 2018, 5:26 PM | Coastal News |

Mangaluru: A 33-year-old man was electrocuted when he came in contact with a fallen live wire, at Uliya in Ullal on Thursday night.

According to DCP Law and Order Hanumantharaya, the deceased is Ashok D’Souza.

It is said that the incident must have happened when he was returning after meeting his friends. There was floodwater half a kilometre from his house. While crossing the floodwater, he must have unknowingly stepped on the fallen live wire and died.

As it was raining heavily, his parents and brother could not step out to search for him. It is said that he was the breadwinner of the family. 

Protest:

Alleging negligence by Mescom and Ullal CMC, local residents along with St Sebastian Church Assistant Priest staged a protest and did not allow the officials to take the body away. They demanded officials to promise compensation.

Assistant Priest Stany Pinto said, “The family should be paid compensation of Rs 25 lakh. The Ullal CMC should lay a suitable road to Uliya.”

Tahsildar Guruprasad announced a compensation of Rs 5 lakh to the family of the victim within 54 hours. He promised to recommend for special compensation from Chief Minister.

“As the ULB election code of conduct is in force, the road work cannot be taken up. After the election, the road will be laid,” he added.

Read These Next